The History Teachers Association of Victoria (HTAV) have developed a fantastic Teacher Resource Pack, tailored to meet the requirements of the Grade 3 National Curriculum.
It is full of creative ideas and great worksheets that are ready to go!
The Teachers Resource Pack was launched at the 2014 Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show by Minister for Education Martin Dixon MP and Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Damian Drum MP.
Students using the book and education resources have the opportunity to:
- Learn about the history and context of ANZAC Day;
- Gain an understanding of the purpose and significance of creating memorials;
- Empathise with the personal story of William Winter Cooke and the hardships he suffered during World War I;
- Learn about the basic principles of tree propagation;
- Play a significant role in a school ANZAC Day ceremony;
- Develop responses to inquiry questions;
- Learn new historical terminology;
- Analyse images;
- Use a range of graphic organisers to brainstorm ideas;
- Examine primary documents including war records;
- Use a range of electronic maps to examine the topography of the Gallipoli Peninsula;
- Demonstrate their understand of landscape and topography by making a relief map of the Gallipoli peninsula;
- Sequence historical events relating to the William Winter Cooke story;
- Make a Gallipoli Oak badge.